Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

DIY Flag Bunting


You might have seen these flag buntings scattered around Pinterest and design blogs lately.  They can be mounted as party decorations or hanging permanently in a child's room.  My third little one is on his way to the boy's room in his own crib and I wanted to make a little something for him to enjoy looking at and a little something to add a punch of color to their mostly monochromatic room.  Hopefully, we will keep it around for parties too.  Some of the tutorials I found required too much ironing.  I went with piping/bias tape to eliminate the need for having to iron one long strip to attach the flags to.  This tutorial also requires sewing only one seam for each triangle instead of having to iron and pin two sides of each.  It took me about an 1 1/2 hours to complete.

  





The Materials you will need are:

Scrap Fabrics of your choosing.  I did coordinating colors of my boy's room.  
Scissors
Upholstery Piping (however long you want the bunting to be)
Ruler or Measuring Tape
Coordinating Thread
Pen
Pins
Scratch Paper
Card Stock or Cardboard
Chalk






I had about 10 yards of piping, so I needed to measure mine out. 



Fold a piece of paper in half and cut about the size you want for each triangle.



Then, trace your triangle on your cardstock.  Line the triangle up next to your first triangle symmetrically.  Fingers at military stance....



Cut your two triangles (as one whole piece).  This is going to be your template.


Now, use your chalk to trace your "double triangles" on your fabric.



Next, I folded over my piece and measured how long each triangle would be.  Each of my triangles were about 5 inches long.  



Next, do the math.  My piping was 10 feet long.  Multiplied by 12 (inches).  I have a total of 120."  Each square was 5 inches.  120 divided by 5 is 24.  So, I need to make about 24 triangles.  Yeah, that's old school right there.  No calculator needed.




My pile of double triangle pieces. 



Fold your triangle piece in half with the right side of the fabric facing each other.  Sew along the long seam.  Get to sewing!!  Make sure you back stich.



Turn your triangle right side in and gently use your scissors to make a pointed end.



You also may need to clip off a little fabric at your point to make it.....pointier.....





As you can see, I went ahead and sewed some of my triangles without having to turn them inside out with the seam exposed.  I liked the way the white thread popped on the solid colored ones.



Next, line those puppies up on your piping to get a pattern that you like.



Make sure to leave an open space at both ends to secure for mounting.



Start pinning each triangle into place.  I left about 1/2 inch between each triangle.  



Switch your footer to the zipper footer.



This was my first time sewing with piping.  The seam was MUCH straighter when I put the the fabric a little bit over the exposed piping.  Make sure you backstick at the beginning and end of EACH triangle.




Done.





And, DONE!  Happy week, Y'all!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...