Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Brass Hinge Srub Down

Instead of purchasing new brass hinges for the bathroom facelifts, I decided to try scraping off the old grim from the original hinges.  I first tried soaking all 20 in a vinegar solution and scrubing them down.  Fail.  Then, I tried a lemon solution  Fail.  I was ready to toss them out when I went to load the dishwasher and I stumbled across my barkeepers friend under the sink.  I made a thick paste and let them sit for about 2 hours.  Then I took a heavy duty scrub brush and worked each one under a faucet of hot water until most of the grime was off. 

Bar Keepers Friend Paste


There was some oxidation that made parts of the brass turn an iridescent color, but after a few hours settling with the air the color evened out.


Before & After
Check out those handles.  Gross.

The hinges really turned out better than what I had expected and I saved about $70 not having to buy new ones. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...